So I’ve had some incredible success as well as a few failures since the last update.
Both the thai basil & the sweet basil continue to be a very easy and rapid growing hydroponic success for me. In fact it has been impossible for me to consume it all myself. I’ve been sharing with friends and making random basil concoctions as much as possible. Pesto tends to be my fall back creation but this morning I added basil butter to the mix thanks to the suggestions of my friend Hannah. Check out her blog about living local, good stuff to be seen and read.
The lettuce grew fast as well and was a delicious treat. In fact I’ve got seedlings up for arugula, two star lettuce and cosmo savory lettuce and will be replacing some of my failure plants with, fingers crossed, a continuous supply of fresh greens. It will be interesting to see how long it takes from planting to harvest on these.
I’m down to only 6 plants in the window farm currently. I ended up trashing the peppers because I couldn’t get the aphids to go away and I was worried about them migrating to other plants. The strawberries were destined for failure since the nutrients I’m adding aren’t intended for blooming plants. The cilantro and parsley have been under performers but are still alive. All that being said the mint, thyme and thai basil grow like weeds!
There is TONS of information on windowfarms.org about plant selection, watering & nutrients. Admittedly I went at this with VERY little background research. I used the website as influence for my design but ended up just winging the rest of it. I’m hoping to find some more time to spend reading and talking with other window farmers and push my window to its full production potential.
The tomatoes also didn’t work out for me. They grew HUGE but never bloomed successfully. I’m fairly certain that my issues were related to an over watering condition. It was a bit too late by the time I realized what was going on. I’ve trashed them and will be dedicating that entire system to lettuce production.
Stay tuned for the next update!